By: Sukari Dixon
Ever wondered how long you should keep that eye shadow or mascara in your make up kit? Or what tools you need in your kit to create a fabulous face whenever you want? Check out this great list of make-up tips and tricks!
Don’t know what to purchase? Make sure your kit includes the following must-haves:
- Mascara (or false eyelashes)
- Lip Gloss
- Pencil Eyeliner
- Blush Brush
- Angled Brow Brush
GENERAL MAKE-UP TIPS:
Here are some great rules of thumb whenever you’re applying make-up, whether it’s for a night on the town or an afternoon of shopping.
- Sharpen your pencils before or after each use
- Eye shadow can double as eyeliner when you wet the liner brush
- You can add eye shadow to the gloss on your lips for the lipstick look
- Concealer can double as foundation when used to spot treat
- Put white circle stickers on the bottom of your new make up with the expiration date on it
Maximize the shelf life of your favorite products with these tips:
- Use clean fingertips
- Apply make-up to a clean face
- Clean your make-up brushes at least once or twice a week
- Do not share beauty product (cross contamination risk)
And when its time, get rid of old products…decreasing the risk of contamination and giving you an excuse to shop!
MAKE UP SHELF LIFE
- Mascara – 3 to 4 months
- Liquid Eyeliner – 3 to 4 months
- Eye/Lip Pencils – 3 to 5 years
- Lipstick/Gloss – 2 to 3 years
- Foundation – About 2 years
- Concealer – Up to 1 year
- Eye shadow – 2 years
- Blush/Bronzer – 2 years
MAKE-UP IDEA: Glam Au Naturel
Play up your natural beauty with this less-is-more natural look
- After washing and moisturizing your face, start by lining your lids under your lashes to create a thicker lash look and lower lid if preferred.
- Apply concealer under your eyes, on your eyelid, and any dark spots on your face.
- Use your bronzer under your eyes, on your eyelid, and then lightly brush your entire face. This will provide a nice, light, natural glow, and prepares your skin for make-up that won’t crease.
- Trace or create your eyebrows if necessary with the appropriate brown powder.
- Apply eye-shadow using neutral colors for the daytime and more vibrant colors for night.
- With a drop of water on your fingertip wet your brow brush and dip it into black eye shadow then apply a thin line on your lid tracing your lash line.
- Apply mascara or false eyelashes.
- Last but not least apply Vaseline or lip balm lightly to your lips before using lip-gloss or lipstick to avoid dry lips.
- Dab eye shadow to the gloss on your lips for a more vibrant color instead of using lipstick.